Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Pattern!


OK, kids - have at. Give it a try and tell me where I can make it better. It's a free pattern for Ravelry and I'll be updating as the pattern improves.

Basic Bonnet

By Evie Wood

I used this as the base for my Patch of Purple Mushrooms hat for my daughter. To get the same effect, once you complete the cap, use pom-pom yarn (I used Red Heart Pomp-A-Doodle) and slip stitch it on to the brim portion of the bonnet.

Yarn Used: Loops & Threads Impeccable worsted weight acrylic (any worsted weight will do)

Hook: US 8 (H)

Gauge: Your guess is as good as mine – my finished bonnet fit my almost two-year-old.

Brim:

Ch 16.

1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across (15 sc) Ch 1, turn.

2: Sc in each sc across, ch 1, turn.

Repeat Row 2 48 times more (50 rows total) Do not fasten off.

Back of Bonnet: This portion is still in progress. This is the method I use d on the original hat and it gave me a loose, fairly high-cut back to the bonnet. While I like the high cut of the back (good if you have long hair), the looseness was a fit problem. I will gladly take any suggestions as to how to improve this portion of the pattern, and will revise as I find a method that yields the results I’m looking for.

1: Ch 1. Working down side of completed brim, sc in side of each row (50 sc).

2: Ch 3, (Ch 3 counts as first dc now and throughout) sk first sc, dc in each remaining sc (50 dc, including first ch 3)

3: Begin decrease rows: Ch 3, dc 2, dcdec (dc 3, dcdec) across to last 5 st, dc 4, skip ch 3 from prev row) (40 st)

4: Repeat Row 3 (32 st)

5: Ch 3, dc 1, dcdec (dc 2 , dcdec) across to last 4 st, dc 3, skip ch 3 from prev row) (24 st)

6: Repeat Row 5 (18 st)

7: Ch 3, dcdec (dc 1 , dcdec) across to last 3 st, dc 2, skip ch 3 from prev row) (12 st)

8: Repeat Row 7 (8 st)

9: (This row is worked in sc) Ch 1, ( scdec) across to last 2 st, sc 1, skip ch 3 from prev row) ( 4st)

10: Ch 1, (yo, insert needle in next st, pull up a loop) in each of the next 4 st, yo, pull through all loops. Fasten off.

Ties: Ch 30, join with sc to bottom edge of brim, sc 15 across bottom of brim, then about 35-40 sc evenly spaced across the back of the bonnet, then 15 more across the other edge of the brim. Ch 30 for the second tie, then fasten off.


No comments: